Friday, March 23, 2018

Things I've Done

Since I've talked about things I'll probably never do, I decided to look at what I've actually done. I've always thought I lived a pretty average and boring life. However, when I remember a southern girl from a small town in South Alabama and what she accomplished, it looks a whole lot different.

At 17, I married. We'd known one another for about 6 weeks. No, we didn't "have to get married", although there were nasty people who suggested it. They said it wouldn't last but it lasted 35 years and was ended by death. He's a nasty one, too.

I didn't have children for the next 5 years. Later we were glad it worked out that way because we had a lot of fun just being together. And a lot of hardship. But, during the next 35 years, we did a lot of stuff!
  • Lived in 5 states and 2 foreign countries in 35 yrs. 
  • In first 6 years of our marriage, we moved 100 times. No, we didn't "like" moving. 
  • We moved to Frankfurt W. Germany when I was 20 and lived there 2 years.
  • Visited Bavaria and climb a mountain.
  • Visited two castles & two palaces.
  • Rode on a riverboat on the Rhine River and watched castle illuminations and fireworks in the dark. Breathtaking.
  • Hopped on Strassenbahns and trains and went where we wanted just to see what we could see. We didn't have a car in Germany and didn't need it.
  • Shopped at a Black Market... which looked like any other street market.
  • Furnished our first apartment just by "Junking", the act of driving around with your pals and collecting stuff the Germans tossed (really nice stuff, btw). It is a lot of fun.
  • Visited Paris, France and strolled the Champs Elysee with dear friends.
  • Rode the Paris Metro - a rougher ride than the Strassenbahn.
  • Climbed the Eiffel Tower and Arc Du Triumph.
  • Stared in wonder at the Cathedral of Notre Dame. I mean, just look at it! 
  • Visited Montmartre and Sacre Coeur (probably my two favorite places)
  • Visited the Louvre - needed more time!!
  • Visited the Musée de l'Armée
  • Had my first child just before we relocated back to the states.
  • Moved to Pisa, Italy at age 24.
  • Visited the Leaning Tower when you could still climb it.
  • Visited Rome for two weeks.
  • Rode around the region and just took in the sights. 
  • I sat on a rock on the shore of the Tyrrhenian Sea and watched the waves crash against the rocks.
  • Returned back to the states where the second child was born.
  • Camped in a tent with only some blankets to sleep on. I'd have been fine except for that one root. 
  • Cooked full meals over a wood fire for a week (twice). 
  • Went to college beginning at 32.
  • Graduated with honors at 38.
  • Raised two sons and visited assorted historical sites, zoos, museums, and other fun places.
  • Retired at 58.
  • Wrote 7 rough drafts novels in 7 years that I'm now trying to complete.
  • Since I retired I've traveled some.
OK, so maybe it hasn't been such a boring life after all. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments moderated to avoid SPAM.

This site protected by

********************** **************
Current time in Evansville